The safety of all children in the Mason City School District is our primary concern. Proper conduct on a school bus is necessary to ensure the safety of the students and the driver. Misbehavior that distracts the driver is a very serious hazard to the safe operation of the vehicle and jeopardizes the safety of all passengers. When a student does not display proper conduct on a bus, the driver will take reasonable steps to correct the behaviors such as moving a student’s assigned seat or calling the parent. A written report will be submitted to the school administrators. Our goal is to partner with our families to provide safe transportation for our children.
School bus safety rules and regulations are laws that have been established in the Ohio Revised Code. Drivers will make every effort to maintain discipline on the bus individually. Non compliance will result in the school administration becoming involved in the discipline process.
- Students must arrive at the bus stop five minutes prior to the scheduled arrival of the bus and observe the DPS established by the bus driver.
- Students must take their seat quickly and remained seated at all times.
- Students may not eat or drink on the bus.
- Students may not engage in physical contact, fighting or horseplay on the bus or when getting on or off the bus.
- Students must use inside voices while on the bus.
- Students will refrain from using obscene language or gestures.
- Students must keep all belongings and parts of their body inside the bus at all times.
- The aisle must remain clear at all times.
- First Violation- The student will receive a verbal warning from the bus driver. This warning will be documented by the driver.
- Second Violation- The driver will give the student a second verbal warning and/or assign the student to a different seat.
- Third Violation- The driver will contact the student’s parents. Depending on the severity of the violation, a written referral may be submitted by the driver to school administration.
- Fourth and subsequent violations- A written referral will be submitted to the school administrator to be handled at their discretion using the Student Handbook.