The Mason City Schools Board of Education permits any student from any other district in the state to apply and enroll in the districts schools free of any tuition obligation, provided that all procedures as outlined in the administrative regulations are met.
Procedures for Admission
1. District capacity limits by grade level, school building and educational program are determined;
2. Resident students and previously enrolled district students have preference over first-time applicants;
3. No requirement of academic, athletic, artistic or any other skill or proficiency;
4. No limitations on admitting students with disabilities, unless service required in an IEP are not available in the district;
5. No requirement that the student be proficient in the English language;
6. No rejection of any applying student because the student has been subject to disciplinary proceedings, except an applicant who has been suspended or expelled by another district for 10 consecutive days or more in the term for which admission is sought.
7. Procedures to ensure maintenance of an appropriate racial balance in the District's schools.
Students are ineligible for athletics for one year when they transfer from one school district to another without changing residency. There are exceptions to the ineligibility provisions contained in the Ohio High School Athletic Association Bylaws.
1. Applications must be submitted for inter-district transfer on the Inter-district Application for Admission form as a non-tuition student and submitted in person.
2. A separate application form must be submitted for each student who requests an inter-district transfer.
3. Approval of student for inter-district transfer is at the discretion of the Superintendent in accordance with the District's policies and administrative regulations.
4. A transition meeting must be held with the Superintendent/designee, principal and the family.
5. No inter-district transfer will be permitted if the enrollment of the grade level being requested exceeds District capacity limits and educational program limits.
6. Mason City School District will assume no responsibility for the transportation of students.
7. Applications shall be on a first come, first serve basis (date/time of receipt) with an assurance that the following order for placement will be followed:
- Mason City School District resident students will not be displaced
- Children of employees
- Students who are members of the same family unit pursuant to inter-district transfer policy
8. Applications must be submitted annually beginning April 1 through May 14, and all approvals will be on an annual basis in accordance with the inter-district transfer policy.
9. Students, who begin, but choose not to complete the entire school year at Mason City School District and who return to their resident school district during that same year will not be permitted to apply for inter-district transfer status for the following year.
10. Any student who expects to graduate from Mason High School must meet all the graduation requirements established in policy by the Mason City School District.
11. Any falsification of information on the application form will render the application null and void.
Inter-district Transfer Timeline
Applications Available: April 1 of each year. No phone calls or personal meetings will be accepted
Application Cut-off: Applications must be submitted to the Superintendent's office no later than May 14.
Application Approval: Requests will be acted upon (approved or denied) by August 1 with notification via letter from the Superintendent.