ARE YOU READY FOR A CREDIT FLEXIBILITY OPPORTUNITY?
A credit flex opportunity at Mason High School is a student owned learning opportunity that:
- Provides more choice and autonomy in deciding how, when and where students learn.
- Provides more options for individually suited pathways to post-secondary and career goals.
- Provides acceleration and convenience including more options for courses in school schedule (especially for fitting in electives)
- Provides better preparation for the world beyond secondary education, including college.
Students will have an increased independence with greater individual responsibility for gaining credit.
Students may earn credits through any of the following or a combination thereof:
- Completion of courses
- Testing out or otherwise demonstrating mastery of the course content; or
- Pursuit of one or more “educational options” (e.g., distance learning, educational travel, independent study, an internship, music, arts, after school program, community service or engagement project and sports).
Issuance of credit will be determined locally, by teachers or through the use of:
- A multi-disciplinary team;
- A professional panel from the community; or
- A state performance –based assessment.
Courses and educational options may be counted for full or partial credit and /or credit in more than one area, such as multiple academic areas or academic and career-technical credit, if partial mastery is demonstrated.
Students that can answer in the affirmative to the following questions are ready for a credit flex course. Students understand that:
I will follow the rules of Mason City Schools and the school code of conduct while working on this credit flex opportunity.
I understand that Mason City Schools cannot offer hardware or software support for my personal computer.
I am the only one responsible for my own learning.
I am able to manage my study time effectively and easily complete assignments on time.
I am self-disciplined and find it easy to set aside reading and homework time.
When it comes to learning, I am a self-directed person.
I am willing to follow the recommendations made by the committee approving my credit flex plan.
I am willing to revise my credit flex plan according to the specifications of the committee